What do I have to do?
Just ask your teacher if they think you should take part. If so, simply complete the entry form and return it to the City Music Service and we will do the rest. Applications are open each year between September and December. Please check the latest information for deadlines.
How much does it cost?
It is free to enter, see the criteria for entry below.
Am I eligible to take part?
Yes, if you meet at least one of the following categories:
- You are a resident of Stoke-on-Trent
- You are in full time education within the city boundaries
- You are a member of one of the City Music Service ensembles
What preliminary rounds are there?
There are six classes split into junior and senior:
- Strings (orchestral)
- Woodwind (orchestral and band)
- Brass (orchestral and band)
- Open (percussion, keyboard, guitar, recorder etc.)
How old do I have to be?
There are two age categories for the preliminary rounds and the final:
- Junior – up to and including Year 8
- Senior – Year 9 to Year 13
What should I play?
Ask your teacher to suggest something that you will feel comfortable performing in public and that will show off your musicianship. You could perhaps choose a piece you are currently preparing for an important exam; it could be a good opportunity to perform it in front of an adjudicator.
The maximum performance time is five minutes for the preliminary rounds. You will need to provide a copy of the music you are performing for the adjudicator. A City Music Service accompanist will be provided free of charge unless you wish to bring your own.
What is the prize for the final?
- Invitation to perform at the Victoria Hall
- Music Token
- Certificate of Achievement
- Individual Trophy